Isn't it nice to find the answers to questions right after asking them and
before anyone else can answer

some link off google:

"It appears that what's happened here is that
libmysqlclient wants to use the functions compress and
uncompress, which at a guess are the ones in libz (the GNU
zip compression library). Presumably MySQL now allows
communication between client and server to be compressed
on the fly."

so using -lz as a flag on linking process is the answer

                                        - John