From: Kenneth Hylton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 10:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MySQL vs. Oracle (not speed)

Our experience has been totally the opposite.

We recently ported a Delphi application from MS-SQL to MySQL.

The MySQL server was a less powerful box than MS-SQL was running on.

I will not go into great detail because some of the software is proprietary
and we make $$$ providing the service.

But here are out times:

Process #1 (heavy inserts, few updates) MS-SQL 9 hours MySQL 90 minutes
Process #2 (heavy updates, few inserts) MS-SQL 17 hours MySQL 2.5 hours

The databases were tuned to get maximum performance from MS-SQL (you can see
why) and NO changes were made to optimize
for MySQL, as we didn't need to.

Ken Hylton
Programmer Analyst IV
LEC Systems & Programming