Hello,

I really hope that Red Hat hasn't changed the root default password to
something else.

Start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables parameter, then try your mysqladmin
command you were trying to execute. If it works then, your grant tables
are screwed up somehow.When you're running with --skip-grant-tables,
change your root password to something you can use later.

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *