On Monday 19 August 2002 07:21 am, Nicolas Ivering wrote:

Several things spring to mind here...

1st of all when you use JDBC, you're coding to the JDBC interface, not to any
proprietary interface (IE, your application could just as well call a
PostgreSQL JDBC driver and it would not need to be recompiled or even
relinked). In that situation its a bit hard to see how the GPL could be
construed to apply to your work.

2nd, even assuming the GPL DID apply to your work, it does NOT apply to
output generated by the work. If it did then every graphic produced with GIMP
would be GPL, and every byte of code emitted by gcc would have to be GPL as
well! Clearly this is not the case, so your data is always 'safe'.

3rd the GPL really only deals with DISTRIBUTION of application. In other
words if you gave someone the binary of your application, you might have to
give them the source. Giving them the URL of a web server which runs GPL code
does not in any way oblige you to distribute anything to anyone. This is a
point many people miss. You can keep your GPL code hidden away from the world
and then for all practical purposes the provisions of the GPL are powerless.

Finally I'm not at all sure the notion of a derived work is 'hazy'. It may be
complex, but it seems extraordinarily precisely defined by the license. If
there's real money riding on it, hand it to a lawyer and get an opinion. If
not, then don't worry about it.