Hi

I have a problem with privileges on MySql NT 3.23.52. I hope that someone
can provide me with a solution.

If a user has USAGE privileges on the mysql db (*.*), and ALL privileges on
another db (CUSTOMDB) in the system, that user can't login nor can they
access the CUSTOMDB. The error reported is: "you have no access to database
CUSTOMDB". Yet, according to the documentation, this user setup is valid.

The Sql Statements are:
GRANT USAGE  on *.* to newuser identified by password 'mypassword'
GRANT ALL on CUSTOMDB to newuser
FLUSH PRIVILIGES

SHOW GRANTS for newuser
Returns:
GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO ' newuser'@'%'
GRANT ALL PRIVILIGES ON CUSTOMDB.* TO ' newuser'@'%'

The purpose of this user setup is to prevent access to the mysql.user table,
should the login be compromised.

Juri Nysschen

The Digital Message Network (Pty) Ltd
Tel. +27.(0)11.4750300