All,

I have been using MySQL version 3.23.33 on my Alpha box for quite a
while now.  A month or two ago I tried to update to mysql-max-4.0.1 only
to learn that the binary was built on an EV6 processor and would not
work on the EV56 chip.

I could but knowing what a pain it would be for me to pull together all
the latest software to build my own... I was hoping MySQL AB might be
able to compile a binary package for an EV56 chip?  Or perhaps someone
has already built a binary that works on my Alpha box (uname and cpuinfo
below)?  BTW the reason I am using the EV56 is because the box was
free...

Upgrading is not a priority, my MySQL server is way underutilized, so if
it proves too time consuming or troublesome I just won't upgrade.
However, I have an Intel PC operating as my replication slave which is
running 4.0.1 and the lack of symmetry bugs me.  Also I would like to
toy with some of the features in version 4 that are not in 3.23.

Tim

SuSE 7.1 Alpha Edition

uname -a
Linux alpha1 2.4.4 #2 Sun May 6 08:05:48 GMT 2001 alpha unknown

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV56
cpu variation           : 0
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       : Linux_is_Great!
system type             : EB164
system variation        : LX164
system revision         : 0
system serial number    : MILO-2.2-17
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 533333333
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 1059.80
kernel unaligned acc    : 17 (pc=fffffc00008c3bfc,va=fffffc0002447c8c)
user unaligned acc      : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string         : N/A
cpus detected           : 0