I need to figure out values in a column of a given table that do not
exist in a a column of another given table without subselects.

For example:

If I have one table called "TABLEA" with column name "id" and values
"1,2,3,4,5,6,7",

and another table called "TABLEB" with column name "id" and values "3,4,5".

Is there any select statement I can do, which will return records in
TABLEA with id values "1,2,6,7"?

With subselects you could do it as such:
"select id from TABLEA where id NOT IN select id from TABLEB"

How can I do it in versions of MySQL that don't have subselects
(multiple steps is fine)?

I really need help on this. Thanks in advance!

Gabe