Hi Andreas,

> I'm just getting started with mysql so please bear with me.  =8-}
> I do a 3 table query like:
> SELECT a.x, b.y, c.z
> FROM a, b, c
> WHERE a.b_fk = b.id AND a.c_fk = c.id;
> That works so far.
> In c can be rows which aren't active anymore.
> There is a good_from and a good_until DATETIME field which should be
> respected in the query above. Can I filter the old rows out before I do
> the SELECT ?
> I'd like to reduce the workload.

The WHERE clause is used to filter in/out data rows.
What about adding AND NOW() BETWEEN c.good_from AND c.good_until or similar?
(manual has good examples of BETWEEN, and another good keyword is JOIN (as
well as WHERE))

With regards to workload/optimisation, yes it is appropriate to sequence the
WHERE clause so that the most exclusive condition comes first. Free advice:
Make it work before you make it better!

Regards,
=dn