Hello.

(This is more an additional answer to the original mail than to the
one I replied to).

On Sat 2002-08-24 at 19:21:56 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 18:38, Van wrote:

> > Just thought I'd pass it along, since I haven't seen Monty and
> > crew address it.

I think that it is a non-issue and that this already has been convered
in the BugTraq thread.

[...]

> > This BDA individual appears to have a point on a configuration
> > option that allows an exclude to prevent localhost from getting
> > denied due to the "eleven bad connection (ex. Bad Handshake)"
> > problem.
>
> I don't agree that he has a valid point.  More specifically, "It's
> not a bug, it's a feature."

Seconded.

> > Since I'm not familiar with the error-handling code that deals
> > with this, I'd offer a suggestion that rather than just ignoring
> > excessive bad connections from localhost an admin notification
> > (via e-mail or console message, perhaps) be sent when localhost is
> > exhibiting this behavior so someone can intervene before it
> > becomes a problem and "DoS-es" itself.

This is the task of an monitoring system, not of MySQL. It is standard
procedure to have a monitoring system on a production system (at
least, if outages cause some form of damages). I have "mon" running
and should an important IP get blocked (for whatever reason), I will
get a mail two minutes later.

The advantage of this method is that you get notified for any reason
the access does not work, not only blocked IPs. Additionally, a
monitoring system if flexible, in when, how often, how and whom to
notify. You do not want to build all this into MySQL, do you? (And
without, the feature could trigger thausands of mails in an DDoS
attack). As I said, this is the task of a monitoring system.

> If you can code something like this (that can be turned off by default
> or by config, because I _want_ the behavior you want to remove) that is
> portable (i.e. works on Windows), then feel free.

As should be clear from above, I am rather against it, even if it
could be done easily.

If at all, I would suggest to implement a trigger system, into which
some other program can hook in, if it wants to know about special
events. But then, the problem can be handled by existing means, so why
bother?

Regards,

        Benjamin.

--