I've compiled debugging into the library .. now I figured the library was
getting loaded/unloaded, but it didn't really come to mind until I ran it
with debugging.  My atomic tests (A standalone program that init's and
closes) does NOT do this.. So, I'm wondering if the leak is somehow being
incurred by constantly mmaping and un-mmaping the library even though the
master process (the one calling getpwnam over and over) never exits -
libmysqlclient is being dynamically loaded and unloaded over and over again.

MYSQL_DEBUG found. libmysql started with the following:
d:t:L:n:N:S:F

    1:     libmysql.c:  1664:    1: >mysql_close
    2:     libmysql.c:  1700:    1: <mysql_close

MYSQL_DEBUG found. libmysql started with the following:
d:t:L:n:N:S:F

    1:     libmysql.c:  1664:    1: >mysql_close
    2:     libmysql.c:  1700:    1: <mysql_close

MYSQL_DEBUG found. libmysql started with the following:
d:t:L:n:N:S:F

    1:     libmysql.c:  1664:    1: >mysql_close
    2:     libmysql.c:  1700:    1: <mysql_close

etc ...

Thoughts?