* Mylin Campos
> I'm a newbie with mysql. I have a few question and would really
> appreciate it if you can help me. I'm creating a database for a
> payroll system. I actually finish with my entity relationship
> diagram.  What should be the next step? I know I should create
> the database already but while reading the mysql documentation
> I've been encountering so many questions that I'm getting all
> confused on where to start.
>
> First, where does the priviledges come in? Specifically the alter, drop,
> select, insert (etc) priviledges come in?

This depends on the requirements of the system you are making. If the system
will have users with different roles, you can create different users in
mysql with different privileges.

I normally use only one mysql user, with all privileges, and then create a
separate user subsystem within my application. All 'users' are accessing the
database with the same priveleged mysql user account, and it is up to my
application to differentiate between the individual users of the system.

This is all fine when the mysql database is hidden behind an application,
but if you need to give users direct access to the database (using the mysql
client or phpadmin or similar), the lack of security might be a problem.

If you need security on the database level, use the privilege system and
create separate users for all the database user roles you can define, and
then GRANT privileges to each role for each column in each table. If you can
handle security on the application level, use a single privileged mysql
user. (This is not The Only Way, it's just how I do it. YMMV.)

> Or does this concern the database
> administrator which is not my concern since I'm only the software
> developer.

It depends. You should consult with your DBA.

> Should I create the tables and then what next?

yes. It's easy to change them later, if you change your mind about
something.

> Mysql does not a have a feature like access where you link one key to
> another by dragging one field to another. does this mean that linking the
> tables in mysql is done manually via the sql statements?

That is correct, no special definition is needed.

> Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome! :)

--
Roger