On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Will K. wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:09:32 +0000
> From: Will K. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: NULL ?
>
> hello,
>
> Please dont tell me to RTFM on this one (cause I am already doing that), but
> for clarity's sake... can someone tell me what it means when you use NULL
> and NOT NULL in a query (specifically CREATE TABLE)?  Also, when should I
> use them?
First, in database terms Null is different than an empty stirng or zero.
It is closer to 'I do not know and it does not matter'.  When you specify
NULL in a table definition you are saying that the field you are defining
in the table can take on a 'NULL' value.  For this reason mysql does not
allow fields which can be 'Null' to be part of an index.  If you test a
nullable field in a where clause you ask IS NULL or IS NOT NULL.

Hope this helps.

> Will K.

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27