From: "Shashank Tripathi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>This will be fast if you have the right index--
>    field5 like 'John%'

>These will NOT be fast --
>    field5 like '%John%'
>    field5 like '%John'

>Putting a wildcard character ("%") before the term will avoid the index.
Yep, and it's for that point that an index on varchars and text will not
help me ...

>   alter table mytable add index (myvarchar, mytext(100))
I think that the index will too big to be usefull for me.
Other way if i need an index, so perhaps i can try FULLTEXT.
I'm currently building a fulltext index on a test server but it's lonnnggggg
to do that :)

> One last resort that may work for you is to try the regexp instead of
> LIKE. The functionality of regexps for me has at best been
> unpredictable, sometimes it is faster, sometimes at par with LIKEs.
>
>   So,
>
>         " where CONTENT like '%word1%'
>                or CONTENT like '%word2%'
>                or CONTENT like '%word3%'    "
>
>   becomes,
>
>         " where CONTENT regexp 'word1|word2|word3'   "

Why not regexp but this is not i mean, in fact
         " where CONTENT like '%word1%'
>                or CONTENT like '%word2%'
>                or CONTENT like '%word3%'    "
shoud be :
         " where CONTENT1 like '%word%'
>                or CONTENT2 like '%word%'
>                or CONTENT3 like '%word%'    "
So i'll be 3 regexp i think ...

Other big problem is why mysql locked all queries during executing this one

Thanks
David