From: Mertens Bram [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 9:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mysql error in RH7.3

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 03:35, nflorez wrote:
> I am trying to run Mysql for the first time and it fail.
> ----------
> #mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> -----------------

I'm new to this list so I could be wrong, but it seems to me like your
mysqld isn't running. Check which services are running and if mysqld
isn't running start it and try again, that worked for me.  (btw I made
sure the daemon now starts every time I boot.)

If you're running a gui: go to the control panel open the services
dialog and simply check the correct box.

HTH
--
 #  Mertens Bram "M8ram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Linux User #249103  #
 #  Red Hat Linux 7.3  KDE 3.0.0-10  kernel 2.4.18-3  i686  128MB RAM  #