Hi All,

I'm looking towards using MySQL to setup a couple of databases for the
organisation I work for (specifically a Library DB and another for
recording our 'outputs').

Before I get to the question, some background ... We currently use Ms
Access, but my interest in MySQL is that we would be able to give what I
develop away for free (we are a Peak Body in the non-profit community
services sector in Aust.), which would be beneficial for our members.
  However, I'm wondering which way to go with the 'interface' side of
things - Web-based or Java or some other I'm not aware of (the key is
cross-platform usability).  My preference is for web-based as I've
already got a working knowledge of PHP, rather than JAVA.

However, I'd like to make the interface as easy to use as and fast as
possible, and my question is: can a PHP-MySQL combination via a browser
allow you to input data into related tables via a single form?  For
instance, consider a library DB that has two tables, Books & Categories,
with a one-to-many relationship from Books to Categories (one book can
belong to many categories).  Would it be possible to build a form in a
web-environment to input data about a book (Title, Author blurb etc) and
the categories it belongs to?

This might seem like a dumb question, but my only previous experience of
data-driven web sites is with Filemaker Pro (ugh, don't go there!),
where such an action was not possible.

If anyone has broader advice about how to develop DB's for
cross-platform use, I'd be interested - this isn't my main role here by
any means, I'm just weekend hacker who happens to have learnt a bit of
programming and relational DB theory via electives at uni.  Please feel
free to CC your responses to me directly.

TIA,

David