On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 10:04, Chad Arimura wrote:

> I'm considering inserting all of our web access information directly to a
> mysql table.  We have a medium transaction rate, about 4.5 per second but at
> peak it can get a lot higher.  We get about 140,000 hits per day on average
> for 1,500 visitors/day.
>
> I've never doubted MySQL's speed and reliability for a second (and
> definitely want to give thanks to all developers).  BUT, I'm a little wary
> about adding this logging feature, which would add about 140k insert
> statements per day.  This number will eventually grow to at least double or
> triple that.
>
> Would anyone advise just doing a batch insert every night of the entire
> daily log?  Obviously I would prefer the real-time option if overhead is
> minimal...

Real-time should be fine. I'm using MySQL to collect syslog stuff, and i
get _a_lot_ of messages; 30/second is not unusual, although i don't have
exact numbers.
You only need a reasonably fast CPU (i'm not saying get the latest one,
just don't use an old one) and a reasonably fast disk I/O.
And, yeah, don't index what you don't need to. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"Cryptophiles had been so enraptured by the possibilities
of uncrackable ciphers that they forgot they were living in a world
in which people can't program VCRs." - Bruce Schneier