> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Subject: [which I usually snip as it's redundant]
           Re: RE: mysql is driving me mad (3)
[however it appears it would have avoided this:]
> Your message cannot be posted because it appears to be either spam or
> simply off topic to our filter.[...]
> first review the text of the message to make sure it has [a keyword
of sql, query, or (I presume) MySQL]
[...]
> I (re) created the table as follows ;-
> create table clients(
> [...] purchasers_name varchar (50),[...] );
>
> I put the data away thus :-
>
>  Set  objRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
[...]
>         objRS("Purchasers_name") = Session("customerName")
> ****** this is the culprit *****
[...]
>         objRS.Update
> Anything less than 15 characters works o.k.
> anything more it produces an error.

Here is a "screwy" question for you: is the length of the
VERY FIRST item you put into this set 15 characters?  I
ran into a similar problem where "the first time" I
opened a dataset I could enter values for any length up
to the actual maximum, but after I closed the set and
re-opened it (i.e, the next time the program ran), the
longest item in the set determined the "maximum" length.

IT TURNS OUT that in the myodbc connector/driver, there is
a page of options -- you need to ensure bit 1 (client can't
handle the real length) is set.  Bit 2 may be of use as well,
(though I can't remember off the top of my head what it is --
I just know I have it set)  This "bit" of info was gleaned
from an example in the anual that used an "option" value of "3"
(and, of course, little explanantion as to WHY that particular
option value was chosen...)

Well, what do you know -- I didn't actually use one of those keywords in my
message after all...