I usually just copy the complete DB directory from one computer to another
one. With fast ethernet it takes around 5-10 minutes (30 minutes if I have
to backup the table where I store images). Only thing is that mysql can't
write to the table currently being copied. But that's not much of a problem,
since I do the copy in the wee hours of the night, when almost no one uses
the server.

Is this a 'stupid' thing to do?

I've done this for some time and nothing has gone wrong, no data corrupted
either. Running source compiled 4.0.2-alpha:
Uptime:                 70 days 6 hours 42 min 24 sec
Threads: 11  Questions: 215514424  Slow queries: 613  Opens: 87  Flush
tables: 1  Open tables: 59  Queries per second avg: 35.492

Erlend Stromsvik