I've heard that MySQL 4.x can use raw devices on Linux, I'm curious to
learn more. Are some speed tests available? Where I can find
documentation?

I can realize InnoDB tablespaces can benefit from bypassing the
filesystem overhead, but one of MySQL advantages is it's based on files
you can move/backup easily: is this also the case with raw devices?

I mean, how can you backup a tablespace live if you can't use
mysqlhotcopy? You have to switch mysqld off and use dd, or you have to
use mysqldump to dump the database, otherwise you loose data integrity I
guess. Does someone thought a solution?

Is this feature Linux only, or FreeBSD also?

Thank you,

--
Gianluca Sordiglioni
DB Manager