Bhavin Vyas wrote Tuesday, September 03, 2002 9:02 PM in response to:
>>To: Vicky Gonzalez; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: changing a slave to a master in mysql replication

>>bin-log in 'needed' for a server to act as a master. This will make the
server log all it's queries for the slave to follow. Don't know of a faster
way.>>

Thanks for the prompt reply, I understand why bin-log is needed for a master, but I
was questioning the usefulness of having the bin-log setting for a slave while it's
running as a slave. When the slave becomes a master, doesn't it need a new my.cnf
(which would have the bin-log set) or can it become a master with its slave my.cnf? If
it can become a master using the slave my.cnf (which has the bin-log set) what
commands would I need to call to make it a master now, and no longer a slave to its
old master?

Thanks again!
~Vicky