I don't know anyone who's done it but I can think of no reason why it
wouldn't be possible.

Now whether it is a good idea is another idea entirely.  Without a live
backup server (slave) running off hard disk and a very powerful battery
backup system, you're just begging to lose all your data.  No matter how
much you think that your data isn't important, you find out how much it is
necessary right after you lose it.

Another issue:  data growth.  You would think that it wouldn't need over 1GB
of space, but it isn't uncommon for databases to grow well beyond their
initial concepts... just like John Roach's statement about 640k... nobody
will ever need more than that, right?  Now we're running over 5,000 times
that in systems and starting to need more for some tasks.  While you
probably won't need it today, having a system that will support addressing >
4GB of RAM is not necessarily a bad idea in a situation like what you're
talking about.

Either way, you should get a HUGE performance increase from switching to
running off RAMdisk.  Is it practical?  It can be... but only if you've got
a slave system with the data running off a nice, fast RAID 5 array with a
big, fat read cache.  Are there situations that I can think of where I would
want to do it?  Sure, but they all involve massive conversational AI
systems.

Matt