I'd try using MySQL's regular expression functions:

        Select .... where title regexp '[[:<:]]m[ae]n[[:>:]]'

or if you are generating this query programmatically, it might be
simpler to do something like

        Select
        where
                title regexp '[[:<:]]man[[:>:]]' or
                title regexp '[[:<:]]men[[:>:]]'

The [[:<:]]... [[:>:]] patterns match word boundaries, including
beginning- and end of lines. See

        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Regexp.html

for more info.

You might also want to consider a fulltext index on the title:

        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html

-steve

At 7:38 PM -0700 9/6/02, Rob Gambit wrote:
>Hello MySQL mailing list.
>
>I am having trouble creating a SQL statement for
>searching.
>
>Suppose I have a field named title that contains one
>of these
>I am a Man
>I am a Woman
>We are Men
>We are Women
>
>Now I am trying to search that field using keywords,
>for example, I want to return any that contain the
>word "man" or "men" but not "woman" or "women"
>
>WHERE (title LIKE 'man') OR (title LIKE 'men')
>
>but that doesn't return anything. I tried
>
>WHERE (title LIKE '%man%') or (title like '%men%')
>
>but that returns everything. I tried using the _
>instead of % but the word may or may not be at the end
>or beginning of the line.
>
>Can someone point me in the right direction (or tell
>me how to do it)
>
>Thanks.  Sorry for the newbie question.
>
>Robert

| Steve Edberg                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| University of California, Davis                          (530)754-9127 |
| Programming/Database/SysAdmin               http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |