Hello Richard,
I just went through something similar with upgrading from 3.23.49 to 4.03.
The reason you can't connect to MySQL is
>020908 15:53:33  mysqld ended
This should obviously not be here.
Check the error logs to see if they say anything important and/or helpful
there. Most likely found under
/usr/local/mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data in your case.
Also, have you re-linked the usr/local/mysql link with the new folder?
And check to make sure that the data folder is owned by MySQL and that its
group is also MySQL with the correct permissions.
I also found that once I installed the new MySQL, and got it working, I
had to go back and recompile Apache with all the packages you need (of
course making sure to add MySQL support) for it to work correctly. I don't
know if this is necessary but it's how I resolved the problem.
Hope this helps.

-Nick