hi,

We noticed that a select statement using an "order by" that should
return 0 rows fails on large table (~11 million rows), due to the
following error:
Out of sort memory.
Increase daemon sort buffer size (becomes 3, Database error.)

We searched the lists and found the following reference to this problem:
http://www.bitmechanic.com/mail-archives/mysql/May1999/1044.html

This says that mysql acquires enough memory to sort the entire table,
which suggests that sorting is impractical on very large tables.  Is
this really the case?  And, if so, shouldn't it be considered a bug?

thanks for your help,
joe

sql query