I search high and low for an explanation of this at
http://www.mysql.com/doc (hoping I didn't overlook anything) thought it
might be easier to ask this list to see if I'm the only one with this
problem.

With the query statement -
  SELECT i.id image_id, ifnull(i.photographer,"6") photo_id,
ifnull(i.owner,"6") owner_id,
        concat(cp1.fname,' ',cp1.lname) photo_name,
        concat(cp2.fname,' ',cp2.lname) owner_name,
        FROM image I, common.persons cp1, common.persons cp2
        WHERE id='8200' AND photo_id=cp1.id AND owner_id=cp2.id

- an error is reported "ERROR 1054: Unknown column 'photo_id' in 'where
claus'".  This query is failing at the reference to the column alias in
the WHERE claus.  Is this right? Should it be acting this way?  If I
replace photo_id in the WHERE claus with 'ifnull(i.photographer,"6")'
then the correct result is produced.

Can someone please help me understand what I'm missing and possibly why
this approach does not work.

Thanks,

Nicholas Berry
Systems Engineer