Mysql, sql, etc.

Hi,

I am using a slave to perform backups using mysqlhotcopy.
This locks all tables in my database for 10 minutes.

Sometimes the replication is aborted during the period
that the tables are locked. The error message in the slave's
log is:

ERROR: 1053  Server shutdown in progress
020910 21:00:02  Slave:  error running query 'insert into ...'
020910 21:00:02  Error running query, slave aborted. Fix the problem, and re-start the
slave thread with "mysqladmin start-slave". We stopped at log 'log-bin.114' position
75216512

The slave is then easily restarted using slave start.

Does anyone know why this is happening ?  I imagine it is something to do with
the tables being locked - but I don't understand why it thinks there is a
server shutdown, or why this isn't easily repeatable.

My slave is 3.23.51 (linux 2.4), and the master is 3.23.33 (linux 2.2).

regards,
Martin