Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2002 15:19 schrieb Toni Strandell:
> If you have proper indexes on alias, the optimizer should not
> make a table scan. You can try to add an index on pw too. Or
> you could combine the two queries with an UNION.

Sorry, UNION is not available, as it is implemented only in MySQL
4.x and we cannot upgrade the system to this MySQL version (it
is a production system).

But based on your hint I have searched the documentation again,
and found

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Searching_on_two_keys.html

which is exactly my problem (but unfortunately offers no
solution).

You also reminded me of

> But beside this point you have a possible problem with the
> basic design. It is possible that someone adds an alias that
> is the same as an existing login chosen by the system.

Thus I have chosen to normalize the design to

login (either "1000", the login name in the previous example, or
"a1000", the alias name in the previous example) and make this a
primary key.

password (just like before)

subscriber (the login name in the previous example) and make this
a key, and mark it as a foreign key into an external customer
table. This customer table does not actually exist in the MySQL
web frontend, but only in the subscriber database in the
backend, but I need this link for metering purposes.

I now have at most 190.000 records instead of 95.000 previously,
but the performance has improved greatly.

Thank you for your quick assistance and for providing the proper
search keyword for the documentation (searching for "union"
leads directly to the URL "Two Keys" URL cited above).

Kristian

--
NP: Slaying the dreamer, Century Child (Nightwish)