On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Guilherme Orcutt wrote:

> Which one would be the best with MySQL thinking in reliability and
> performance?
> Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

InnoDB scales *MUCH* better than BerkeleyDB.  While it did fine in our
benchmarks consisting of a small number of records, in some benchmarks we
ran here consisting of about a quarter million records, we let BerkeleyDB run
10 times longer than the InnoDB test before killing it and giving up.  The
live system is dealing with 2M records, and will soon be dealing with 2 to
3 times that many, so BerkeleyDB wasn't an option.

This system does quite a bit of inserting/updating, so for a read-mostly
table, the difference probably won't be as great, though from what I've
seen in some of our systems that use BerkeleyDB directly from C, there is
still some degradation from larger tables.

The only advantage of BerkeleyDB over InnoDB that I know of is that InnoDB
keeps everything in a set of files, whereas BerkeleyDB has a seperate file
per table.  Some people prefer it this way, as they can back up individual
files.  Personally, I prefer using mysqldump, which makes this a
non-issue for the most part.