I have been running MySQL on a W2K platform for over a year now.  The
system is normally accessed through servlets, using the "mm" jdbc driver.

I have a number of standalone java programs that also access the
database using the "mm" driver.  These have always worked quite well,
until today.

One of the programs creates a comma-separated-file export of some tables
for me.  It takes a couple of hours to run - but this has never been a
problem until today.

Today, on 10 separate occasions so far, the application has died -
always with the same error:

SQL Problem: Lost connection to server during query
SQL State: 08007
Vendor Error: 0

This error is printed from the SQLException in the catch clause of my
Java program.

According to the MySQL manual, this should only occur if the connection
is closed and then accessed (not the case), or if the connection times
out.  According to the manual, the default is 8 hours.

I've run 'mysqladmin variables' and captured the output.  I have not
changed the variables since installing the system over 1 year ago, so I
don't see how this should be the problem, but ... what variable do I check?

Also - the program died between 10 minutes in and 40 minutes in.  Before
today, the application ran fine - and takes up to 4 hours.

Heres the output from "mysqladmin version":

mysqladmin  Ver 8.22 Distrib 4.0.0-alpha, for Win95/Win98 on i32
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version        4.0.0-alpha-nt
Protocol version    10
Connection        . via named pipe
UNIX socket        MySQL
Uptime:            19 hours 49 min 6 sec

Threads: 2  Questions: 1032774  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 149  Flush
tables: 1  Open tables: 0  Queries per second avg: 14.476

Any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.

-Richard

--

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it