From:   Uriel Wittenberg [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, September 13, 2002 3:24 AM
To:     Ed Carp; Gerald R. Jensen; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Paul DuBois;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's
appropriate way?

I generally read responses to my requests for help with care ... and
gratitude! So I did read Paul's post. To my knowledge it doesn't answer my
(subsequent) question:

> Is there some other way to have the MySQL server running on a
> standalone Win
> system other than as a service? Which way is appropriate for standalone?

But then I don't know what "registered" is and can't see any reference to
this word in the WinXP "Computer Management" utility, or the MySQL
service's
properties there.

I am asking in case having the server as a Win "service" is only needed
when
serving other machines on a network but there's a better way of running the
server for local use.

Is this "Computer Management" utility what Paul's referring to as the
"Services Manager"? Do I have to use that tool to manually start the server
(as per Paul), or can I do

C:>NET START