Matthew,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Fallshaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: InnoDB Win2k Service doesn't start

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Fallshaw) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > Now, I've done some searching on the newsgroup on this matter and came
> > up with the advice to start from a command prompt (so I could see the
> > error messages being generated)... here's the rub: it starts perfectly
> > well with
> > C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-max-nt --console
>

> And after a bit more testing, it's the --console bit that keeps the
> server alive (keeping by DOS prompt captive):
> ---
> C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-max-nt --console
> 020917 12:38:44  InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
> InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
> InnoDB: You may get better performance if you configure a bigger
> InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
> InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.
> 020917 12:38:45  InnoDB: Started
> mysqld-max-nt: ready for connections
>
> ---
> (there's no prompt there - I have to <CTRL-C> to close)
>
> Without the --console the command runs without any messages and
> returns me to a prompt (without the server active):

you have to use either the --console option or the --standalone option when
you run from the command line in Windows.

> ---
> C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-max-nt
>
> C:\mysql\bin>
> ---
>
> Any ideas anyone? Please?

Was the original problem that the mysqld in the service does not support
InnoDB? Then probably the wrong executable has been installed as the
service. Please see the MySQL manual
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/NT_start.html about how to remove mysqld.exe,
mysqld-opt.exe, or mysqld-nt.exe from being a service, and how to install
mysqld-max.exe or mysqld-max-nt.exe as a service.

> M@

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy