Storing JP and EN data in the same table has worked for me ever since I
started using MySQL. Unlike Oracle, you don't need any specific charset
configs (I may stand corrected). The idea is to use the correct
character encodings when you *display* the data after pulling it out. In
your case, I'd think Shift_JIS.

You mention displaying on the command line...u mean DOS prompt? If not,
and if you meant some software, it shd be easy. If you meant DOS prompt,
I guess it depends on what the default language in your windows box is.
Do you have Japan set as your default locale and as the default language
(Regional Options in Control Panel)?  If so, the data shd display
correctly without any additional effort.

You can store EUC, Shift, ISO2022, and for that matter, Chinese in the
same table in diff rows as well. During presentation time (display),
just display using the appropriate encoding and it shd be ok.

Holler if you need more help.

Cheers,
Shashank