On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Mario Ohnewald wrote:

> Hi!
> I am using SuSE7.3 and mysqld  Ver 3.23.41 for suse-linux
>
> What i did (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html):
> # rcmysql stop
> # mysqld --skip-grant-tables
> Fatal error: Please read "Security" section of the manual to find out how to
> run mysqld as root!
> 020918 12:42:39  Aborting
>
> 020918 12:42:39  mysqld: Shutdown Complete
>
> How can i solve this Problem? I have alread reinstalled mysql, but
> unforunatelly i keeps its password.
>
> Cheers, Mario

Mario, that error means that you cannot run the MySQL daemon/server AS
root.  It's a security issue, not a password issue.  Try something like
this:

mysqld --skip-grant-tables --user=mysql

or, if you don't have a user named "mysql", create one and change the
ownership of the mysql directory/files to "mysql"; OR, use the "nobody"
user (a common replacement)

mysqld --skip-grant-tables --user=nobody

Regards,
Neil Mansilla
whatUseek.com