I've got a weird conundrum here that I'm hoping I can get some help on. I'm
attempting to install a chat board system called Ikonboard
(www.ikonboard.com) with MySQL as the database; setup on it went smoothly
until it tried to talk to the database. No matter what I do, I get:

"mySQL connection error: Access denied for user: 'alex@localhost' (Using
password: YES) "

This is despite several things that would indicate I should have no trouble:

1. I can connect from a shell with the same username and password no
problem.
2. I've quadruple-checked the spelling of the username and password, so it's
not a typo.
3. I can connect to the database from a test script with the same username
and password.

The only reason I can think of that the installer program can't connect is
because it's a web script (installer.cgi), and some sort of permissions
might be wrong there.

Any ideas?

Alex Kirk