sql,query,database,odbc

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me whether I can represent fractions in MySQL 4.  I have
data representing different lengths of objects measured in inches.  Can I
load this data as is into a field in MySQL and still retain the same value
or do I have to convert it first to a float or decimal value??

What type of data type will the field be bigint, int, decimal???  The
measurements are small, for example 2 1/2 inches, 3 1/8 inches.

Thanks in advance