-----Original Message-----
From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 7:59 PM
To: Savaidis; mysql list
Subject: RE: insert and deletind dublicating

At 17:54 +0300 9/19/02, Savaidis wrote:
>I had already done the first (insert ignore into bla-bla ) solution with
>personal e-mail from a friend. It works fast and fine. But the word
"ignore"
>leds me to missunderstanding: insert the row inspite of the unique key!

That's why it's a good idea to read the manual if you're not sure about
what something means.

I have read the manual 3-4 times and I'm surprised everytime- I work in
MySQL more than a year now, so simple things in front of my eyes, I can't
see them.

>"continue" I think it is more meanfull as without this I get an error
>message and the job stops at this row.

A matter of taste, perhaps.  I don't find IGNORE confusing, and I don't
find CONTINUE meaningful, myself.

On that, I have to agree :)

>I think also  something like "explain" to insert should exist as to select
>too (and to other commands too). We could locate missplaced quots , missing
>fields ecc to run the whole .sql without actualy insert it to the table.
>Also the error message couldn't be more precise? I mean to show where is
the
>problem on the insert line? Close too -> shows always the begin of the
line.

EXPLAIN cannot work in the way you describe, because it requires a
syntactically legal statement to begin with.  Syntax errors are the domain
of the parser.  If it says the error is close to the beginning of the line,
normally that's exactly what is wrong.

I believe parser works before every command. It works before searching, it
founds the error possition anyway,  so it wouldn't slowdown the execution of
searching proccess ecc.
I see always pointing at the beggining of the line. I don't know if this is
becouse of MySQL itself (doesn't return the exact possition) or MySQL-Front
doesn't make good implementation of returning error.
As for EXPLAIN, if could be also easily add too to every command with no
extra cost as is an external (seperated) command. In addition to some
hundreds checks of rights, locks, keys ecc one more if it is real or
EXPLAIN.

Makis