Hello guys,
      this is my first mail to the mailing last, since I am new to the mysql
world. I would like to create a "cell-bank" mysql database. We freeze
down cells in small tubes. These tubes are stored in boxes and the
boxes are in big freezers. Sometimes we freeze 10-20 new tubes with
new samples (i.e. 5 of each). When we pick them up we do it usually
one by one. Since the size of the boxes and the freezers are constant,
the tables that I should use should also be constant (right?). I am
not sure how I should design my database. That's why I would like to
ask for help.
 I thought of using the following tables:
Samples (contains the data about the samples)

Boxes   (I am not sure about this) It should contain how many rows and
columns are in the box?

Freezers (Freezers have racks that holds the boxes and these racks are
arranged in rows and columns again)I guess this table should contain
the number of racks, rows, and columns, location, temperature....)

I am stuck somewhere here. I am not too sure how I should proceed.
Should I create a "freezing" table that contains Sample_id, Box_id,
Freezer_id...?
The database should automatically put the tubes in the boxes until
they are full and then move to another box by itself. If is thaw one
samples it should remove those samples from the box and mark it empty.

I am quite sure that this kind of database have been already created
652,342 times. Nevertheless, I would appreciate any type of help for a
newbie, with links or tutorials for these kind of problems.

Thanx

--
Best regards,

tel:+4687286259