Why don't you use the load data command to import the data in to mysql?
I've done this successfully for about 56,000 records. I currently don't
have a larger data set, so that is definitely not a limit I hit.

Server uname -a:
Darwin localhost 5.5 Darwin Kernel Version 5.5: Thu May 30 14:51:26 PDT
2002; root:xnu/xnu-201.42.3.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

Distro:
MacOS 10.1.5

MySQL version:
3.23.51