I'm trying to use a sql query to determine if an ID exists in any of 3 different
tables in the database.  I need to do this in one SQL query (ideally only using the ID
once in the query).  I'm using mysql 3.23.47.

Here's an example of a query I came up with:

select count(*) from jobs, submissions where ID_VALUE in (jobs.standard_id,
submissions.color_id)

I'm just trying to determine if the ID exists.

This query works *IF AND ONLY IF* there is at least one record in each of the tables.
If any of the table are empty, this query always returns a count of 0 (even if there
is a match in one of the non-empty tables).

Does anyone know why this is happening or could someone suggest a alternate query?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Bolen
Senior Software Developer
GretagMacbeth Advanced Technologies Center
79 T. W. Alexander Drive - Bldg. 4401 - Suite 250
PO Box 14026
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709-4026  USA
Phone:  919-549-7575 x239,  Fax: 919-549-0421

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/