I have written a web application using Perl, DBI and MYSQL 3.23.41.  I
have built the application so that only the interface logic is in the
perl cgi scripts (not fastcgi) and all of the real work is done is in
perl modules, one of which I call Mydefaults.pm which holds the db
connect information but every sql access has a dbconnect infront of it.
 I do not perform a disconnect anywhere.

q1. am I right in saying that I am establishing a connection for EVERY
sql statement. i.e. there is no re-use of the connection within the CGI
thread.

q2. if q1 then can I set-up and export my own dbconnect function that
"holds" the $dbh and only creates one (i.e. issues a dbconnect) if there
isn't one.

q3. does the lack of a disconnect affect how the statements are committed

q4. is there a better solution.

q5. is there a good link to some documentation where I can work out how
to get sql logging working when I start mysql using safe_mysqld (my.cnf?
which section? what in the startup script?)

tvm,

Owain.