Hello all,

I am currently using perl to import some information into a mysql db.  At
this point in time I have two issues:

1.  The text files that are being imported contain both english and french
text.  My text editor (textpad) gladly displays the text with all proper
hyphens and accentuated characters.  Now when I use perl to read the files,
the characters that are being displayed are not what I am expecting to see.
Apparently perl is reading the file as UTF8??  How do I get it to recognize
the file as using the ISO-8859-1 character set??  Now this leads to my
second question

2.  Does how perl is displaying the text really matter? will it store the
'proper' character or will it store the messed up character?

3. Does mysql by default use the ISO-8859-1 character set?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shaun