At 10:12 -0700 9/23/02, neal wrote:
>I just presume that this will add alot of overhead to the query.  The reason
>I wanted to be able to do something like a union rather than seperate
>queries is because of overhead.  I dunno ... am I wrong?  Is it not that
>bad?

The way to find out is to try it.  Queries that generate large result
sets are likely to write to disk anyway, even without an explicitly
created table.

>Also, I tried the query you suggested ... can you really do this(?):
>"insert into tmp select userId from iteneraries"
>
>I was getting an error 'near insert into'.  It seems you're trying to
>execute a subquery within a query ... can MySQL do this?

It's not a subquery.

The example I showed below consists of three separate queries.
Make sure to terminate each with a semicolon.  From the error message
you describe, it sounds as though you may have issued them all as
a single statement.