> Is this an error in Mysql?
> I do the follwing command from a shell
>        "grant insert on mydb.* to username@localhost identified by user
> 'pwd';"
> When I check the permissions the insert_priv field on user table of
> mysql db is set to 'N'.

This always gave me a lot of confusion at first.  If you select * from
user, you are seeing the user privs, which I interpret to mean that if you
have a "Y" for insert you can insert globally into ANY table.  You'll want
to check the db table instead which shows privs based on database name and
username.

Josh