I know it is a bad problem description, but that's all I can tell right
now -- 3.23.52 sometimes goes into deadlock under heavy load.

Heavy load means approximately 400 queries/second, for extended periods
of time. This is a web application backend.

There is nothing special about the database, except may be the number of
indexes on one table -- it currently has 26 indexes on different integer
fields. Biggest table in terms of number of rows is about 100 thousands
rows, and one smaller table has blob field that holds data chunks up to
100k each.

Any suggestions how to approach the problem? How and what to test? It
happens randomly, can work for a day or two with no problems and then
hang three times in one hour. And obviously I can't reproduce it in my
test environment however hard I stress test it.

The system is Linux 2.4.18-3, stock redhat 7.3 on 1.1GHz Athlon with 1
Gb RAM. MySQL is out of RPM packages downloaded from mysql.com

Thanx.