Hi - I'm a mysql newbie.  As I've yet to discover a method of batching mysql
commands I prefer to input lengthy instructions (such as large file
structures) in stages, so input errors can be dealt with more easily.  For
example, I first define table structures and then indexes.

This led me to use "create index" for the latter.  The following syntax
"create index city_idx on city_country_masterfile (city);"  worked  for an
ordinary index definition.

However, when  I wanted to define the fourth column (pkey) as a primary key
I could not get create index to work - I misunderstood the syntax or was
misapplying "create index".

What finally worked for me was "alter table city_country_masterfile add
primary key (pkey);".

The two purposes to this entry are
1)  to inform those  who may have similar problems, of my fix  and
2)  to ask others for some specific examples of "create index" and "create
table" syntax, for example, for creating primary, unique and foreign keys,

Hope this helps those and that others can too.

Thank you and regards,

John Barrington

Please note new e-mail address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]