sql,query

        I have a table that has approximately 40 colums and all but 1 of them I have
been able to make fixed width. The sole hold out is of the type "TEXT" and
needs to be able to hold approximately 1000 characters. The reason why I want
it to be a fixed width field is for speed and reliability. From what I have
read, if a table has no variable width fields, the database can access data
faster.
        Maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me. First, will having all
fixed-width fields make a noticeable difference? Second, is there a field
that is fixed-width that can handle approximately 1,000 characters or is
"TEXT" my only option?

Thanks,
Gary