There are common one-way encryption, like md5, this is commonly what I do, I
encrypt with md5 when I insert the password into my database on the DB
server, and then I encrypt with PHP on the Web server side, so therefore, I
am only ever sending my md5 encrypted password over the "wire".  Since it is
the same every time it is like doing string compares on the same encrypted
value so it authenticates, of course this is also the vulnerability of md5.
I suppose that with cracking software and time, someone could get it, but it
also might be better then sending it in the clear.

-Brad