From: John Almberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:05 PM
To: Mysql
Subject: SQL question

I'm trying to sort a table on a character-type field that contains mostly
numbers. This field always contains either a number or a number followed by
a character. Like '57' or '57a'.

I'd like to sort the table *numerically* on this field, not *alphabetically*
on this field. That is, I'd like the table to be sorted like:

1 ...
2 ...
2a ...
3 ...
4d ...

NOT like:

1 ...
11 ...
111a ...
2a ...
22 ...

See what I mean? This is a common problem, I think, when you sort an
character type field that contains numbers. The sort comes out all wrong.

Is there anyway I can achieve this sort using SQL? The target server is
running 3.22.32. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

-- John