Dears,

I'm running a postfix box with a mysql virtual users database on a
FreeBSD 4.6.2 machine. It is a dual Xeon 800, 2GB RAM, 140GB Raid5 SCSI.
This postfix holds about 11.000 virtual accounts and I'm running on a
big problem.
Whem mysql approaches 240 simultaneous conections I get this error log:

Sep 26 17:26:21 koala postfix/smtpd[32250]: warning: connect to mysql
server 10.0.0.4: Can't create a new thread (errno 35). If you are not
out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible
OS-dependent bug

I had to replicate my mysql server to distribute its load so I can have
about 600 conections on 3 different servers.
On mysql site it says freebsd can have from 500 to 1000 conections on
mysql, but mine can't!

Does anybody have any idea how to make it work without problem?
Ah! I have max_connections=5000 on my.cnf and maxusers=512 on kernel
configuration.

One additional information: 2 of those 3 servers has mysql compiled from
ports and only one supports more than 240 connections. The celeron 400
with 64MB RAM and IDE disc supports 450 connections, while the dual xeon
with 2GB RAM and RAID5 SCSI dies with only 240 connections. Both
machines has same kernel configuration (aside of disks drivers), same
sysctl parameters, etc.

Thanks for any idea or point to some usefull info.

Regards,

--
Marcio Merlone.