That would be a great way to keep your website up to date.
The slave can handle loss of connection (though some data may not make sense if part
of it is missing), and resume where it has left of previously.
Or you could also manually start and stop the slave process when you know there is a
live connection.

 As long as you are not modifying the slave database, that could cause problems.
Some people have successfully looped thier replication process (A->B, B->A), which I
know nothing about.

I am assuming you want to have the hosting companies server replicate from your local
copy of the database? If that is the case, starting and stopping the slave process is
not really an option (unless you have your own install of mysql). And of course if you
do not have a static IP address it would be a real pain in the behind ( since your
hosting company will probably be the one changing the slave access, unless of course
you have your own install )

Good luck

Luc

      • ... Roger Baklund